23/07/2011

Where Buzzards dare

I'd gone out to Cawfields Crag hoping to photograph some little birds like the Whinchats, but suprisingly few small birds around and those I could hear I couldn't see.
It doesn't help that my eyesight is so poor, hearing is good though so I can uaually pinpoint the general direction then wait for a movement.
I think most of the birds that were feeding young last week must have them up and away from the nest.
One Tree Pipit sat on the wall in front of me and was snapped for posterity.


I followed the river checking out the patches of Gorse, always a popular spot for small birds, although much of the Gorse seems dead, last winters -20 temperatures must have prooved too cold for it to survive.

I could hear some Buzzards calling a bit further along, helpfully electric wires were prventing me from getting a clear view so I had to move right up to the conifer plantation where the Buzzards 'live'.
What a show they put on for me, two adults and one juvenile, eat your heart out Red Arrows.




They didn't seem to be alarmed by my presence they just were displaying in the warm thermals, the youngster came and sat within camera range.
I was treated to a variety of poses, including the full on stare.


I have to use the big lens on a tripod, not ideal for birds in flight shots so they're not as sharp as they should be, but at least you can see the amazing pumage.
I think it's the sun shining that gives it that yellow colour, I haven't done anything to it in Photoshop, it's as it came out of the camera.

Eventually I left them to it and wandered across the field back to the car, the Little Owls took off as I approached but the juvenile landed in a nearby Ash Tree so I was able to get a photograph. If you stay at Burnhead B&B you can watch the Little Owls from the garden.


I had a lovely afternoon and thankyou for letting me share it with you.

1 comment:

David Richardson said...

Great buzzard & owl shots. Thanks for the tip re the B & B