31/07/2011

Lake District

From Gilsland, it's only an hours drive to Keswick and the north Lakes, so when the weather looked promising I set my alarm and headed off to Castlerigg Stone Circle.
I'd checked the solar calculator and knew where the sun would be rising and after an easy drive down the M6 I arrived at Castlerigg.

 Castlerigg Stone Circle


Castlerigg Stone Circle panorama ( click to see it at full size)

From looking at the sun rise on the map I thought it would be rising in the perfect spot, but there were trees, still the sky coloured up and I was able to get some photographs before heading down to the Lake at Keswick.
Saw a couple photographing the boats with the light catching Catbells behind and not wanting to impose I went further along towards Friar's Crag.
It really is a beautiful lake and I pottered about for about an hour, here are some of the photographs I took.

Derwentwater

 

Derwentwater below Friar's Crag

Morning Mists on Derwentwater, looking towards Cat Bells

 
View down the Lake

 

Early morning light

Light on the bay

Friar's Crag pano ( click to see full size)
As you know I don't pretend to be a great photographer and I'm really no good with the Photoshopping stuff but I hope to show you that you can quite easily fill a weeks holiday based in Gilsland so come along and show me just how it should be done.



No comments: