08/02/2011

08 02 11

Had a senior moment today.
TT came in from work at 10am, so the car was mine for the rest of the day.
There's a Loch near Lockerbie that I wanted to visit, never been there before but it was mentioned in a wildlife walks leaflet.
It would seem that I was driving on autopilot because before I realised what was happening I was heading for Dumfries.
Could have turned around but then I thought I'd just go to Caerlaverock, fortunately I had my WWT membership card with me.
As I pulled into the carpark a helicopter went overhead and the Barnacle Geese went up in a cloud.
I followed them to the field they'd landed in just in time to see the helicopter come back and off they went again.
Managed to get some shots of them flying.


It's so noisy, and messy when they fly overhead but amazing to see, they should be around until the middle of March if you want to see for yourself.

The reserve also has lots of Whooper Swans wintering and they are fed twice a day at 11am and 2pm.
Swans fly in on the dot and wait for their corn.

I didn't get a very good shot of the swans today so here's one from January last year when the snow was on the ground.


BTW: It seems that I can't just reply to comments, once I figure out a way to reply I will.
I'm sure you used to be able to reply via the Blogger dashboard but can't find that option, I think a little googling is in order.

 
All photographs © Joan Thirlaway and cannot be used without written permission.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Super shots! I must get to Caerlaverock before too long...(we used to live 5 miles from Slimbridge.)